Here is an IELTS Writing topic:
Some people believe children should do what their parents tell them to do; others believe that children shall work/think independently. Discuss both views and give your opinion.
Here are some ideas about those two views.
Ideas for children should work independently:
- Independent learning is about children having opportunities and time to plan and develop their play and interests.
- Within child initiated time children are able to extend and apply their learning.
- They are encouraged to explore, take risks, make decisions, solve problems and share their achievements with others, which help to develop their confidence, self-esteem and independence.
- They consolidate and internalize, thus forming deeper understanding.
- Independent planning time gives children ownership of their learning, providing many opportunities to celebrate everyone's interests and achievements, promoting a culture of success in school.
- Child initiated learning not only provides opportunities to apply learning from other curriculum areas, but also helps children to develop skills, concentration, perseverance and the ability to work collaboratively, which can be applied to all the learning that takes place in school, at home and in all aspects of life.
Ideas for children should listen to their parents:
- By teaching children to listen to their parents, we are teaching them the importance of listening to people with authority, people who are wiser, and people who have their best interests at heart.
- Obviously there are periods when children of all ages refuse to listen to their parents and will deliberately disobey them.
- But children need to learn to listen to all people, to pay attention, and to be respectful.
Ideas for children shouldn’t listen to their parents:
- Children should not have to listening to their parents at all time.
- Parents should be able to trust their children and allow them to make their own choices and decisions.
- Parents should be on guard against any overuse of preaching and discipline lest it provoke nothing but resentment and rebellion.
- Kids should learn from their parents – and then learn from the world around them too – so they can grow up with their own feelings and ideas – that are hopefully more advanced than their parents'.
- There are several situations in which kids, keeping their own best interest in mind, should absolutely not listen to their parents.
- Examples like, the drug addicted father tells his kid to shoot up with him, the alcohol addicted mother teaches her kid to steal liquor for her, and the gambling addicted parent tells the child to shoplift to help bring in some money, should the child listen to the parent?