The topic from yesterday
You should spend about 20 minutes on this task.
- Chorleywood is a village near London whose population has increased steadily since the middle of the nineteenth century. The map below shows the development of the village.
- Write a report for a university lecturer describing the development of the village.
You should write at least 150 words.
Here is my full answer (band 9):
The map describes the growth of a village named Chorleywood between 1868 and 1994.
It is clear that the village grew as the transport infrastructure was improved. Four periods of development are shown on the map, and each of the populated districts is close to the main roads, the motorway or the railway.
From 1868 to 1883, Chorleywood covered a small area next to the west main road. Chorleywood Park and Golf Course is now located next to this original inhabited area. The expansion of Chorleywood continued along the main road to the south until 1922, and a railway line was built crossing this area from west to east in 1909. Chorleywood station is in this part of the village.
The village kept growing alongside the east and west of the railway line until 1970. At that time, a motorway was built to the east of the village, and the year 1970 to 1994 experienced the further development of the village around motorway intersections with the railway and one of the main roads.
Don't just read this essay once, spend some time analysing it:
- In what order did I describe the information shown on the map?
- What information did I choose for paragraphs 3 and 4?
- What good vocabulary does the essay contain?